Sunday, November 30, 2008

Is that a second line?!

So, it was Monday, November 10th and I had been feeling a little funny.  I always went to Segue on Monday nights but that night I just didn't feel up to it.  It wasn't that I felt sick, I just felt tired and not quite like my self.  At about 8:30 that night I decided to take a pregnancy test, not because I really thought I was pregnant but because I thought I wasn't and taking the test would just ease my mind and take that possibility out of the equation. 

 You all know how a pregnancy test works so I'll skip ahead a little bit.  I was looking at the stick, fully anticipating seeing only one line, when a second line ever so faintly started to appear.  It was so pale that I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.  I immediately text messaged Nils to come home.  Luckily we live across the street from the church so it wouldn't be a long trek.  At first he was hesitant because they had 100 people at Segue that night and he didn't want to leave.  I explained to him that I had taken a test and that I needed him to come home ASAP.  He was home in about 30 seconds, huffing and puffing trying to catch his breath because he had run the entire way.  

I was frantically trying to look up on the internet what a faint line meant.  Is that pregnant or not?  This was all new to me!  Everything I was looking up said pregnant but I still wasn't sure if I could believe it.  All Nils wanted me to do was take another test so he kept bringing me water so I would have to go to the restroom again.  I tried to tell him I had nothing left in me but he just wouldn't accept that as an answer!  I promised him that I would keep drinking water if he ran to CVS to get the kind of test that simply said "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant".  I was done with trying to figure out the lines!

As you have probably figured out by now, the test said "Pregnant" right away!  We went through all of the emotions; scared, happy, worried, excited . . . you name it, we felt it.  I mean, I just started a new job, we're building a new house, can we make this all work?  Nils assured me we could and I whole heartedly believe him.  We had been talking and praying about when to have a baby and we could never come up with a good time, there always seemed to be a reason to wait.  Now this is God's perfect time and we couldn't be happier!

We are slowly telling people about the pregnancy so I thought it would be a good time to start blogging.  I have my first doctor's appointment on Thursday so once we get a good report from her then we will feel better about making the pregnancy more public.  Plus, we are waiting to tell Nils' mom until we fly up to Missouri to tell her in person.  So, if you know Jan, please keep it a secret!

I am so lucky not to have experienced any morning sickness thus far but I have been incredibly fatigued and cold.  I almost feel as if I can't keep my eyes open some days and I'll fall asleep every hour or so if given the chance.  It really is a bad feeling because you feel so lazy and just not like yourself but I know it's nothing I can help.  I keep showing Nils things on the internet to back up my claims so he knows I'm not just milking this whole pregnancy thing and making things up.  He has been an amazing husband and has already gone into "daddy" mode, taking care of me and the Baby Bug and getting me anything I need.  I could not ask for a better husband!

So, I don't know what this pregnancy will bring but I will try and keep everyone updated on all of the doctor's appointments, cravings and weird things that go on with me for the next 7 or so months.  We are so excited to enter this next stage of our lives and we are thrilled to have you traveling along side of us!


5 comments:

Caron said...

I am so excited for you both and truly excited to be a grandmother. I can't really be old enough to be a grandmother, can I?? lol. This is going to be so much fun!

Becky Kiser said...

world's most excited aunt... well kelly and i might tie! :)

Chef Mama Lori said...

WOW! I'm going to be a GREAT AUNT!!! I'm so excited for you! And Katie, I'm going to see where I put those extra long maternity jeans I've been saving for you! You're the ONLY one I thought could ever fit the length! And they aren't goofy old fashioned or anything. So exciting!

Dianne said...

I can't tell you how excited I was last night when Nils told me via Facebook that I was going to a "grandma"!!! I love you both so much and you have taken such good care of "my baby", so having your baby to spoil will be great!!!
Can't wait to watch the progress and fun ahead!!
BTW - I was in nursing school while pregnant with Jay and there were many a day I wasn't sure how I got to school or home - so the sleepiness is very normal!! All your energy is going to helping that "bean" develop!!! Rest and enjoy - after the first trimester, it gets better!!
Love all 3 of you!!!

Debbi's Blog said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!