Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Lesson Learned

I was hesitant to post this story because it is a little gross, but Becky told me it was definitely a blog story.  

We wanted to spend as much time in Missouri as we could since we weren't able to get up there very often but we also needed to be back in town for the Christmas Eve service at church.  So, we found a flight that left Missouri at 7:30 that morning which meant we had to leave Jan's house at 4am to make the 2 hour drive to the airport on the possibly icy roads, check in and get some breakfast.  All of this was fine for a normal person, but for someone who is pregnant this is way too much for one morning.

As we are waiting to board the plane I am starting not to feel well at all.  The only kind of morning sickness I had had up to that point was nausea and exhaustion but I had never actually gotten sick so I was hoping that's all it was.  I tried to keep myself composed as we boarded the plane and I even tried to sleep it off.  It worked for a while but it eventually got to the point to where I couldn't ignore it any more so I grabbed my barf bag and off to the airplane bathroom I went.  I already try to avoid the airplane bathroom at all costs as it is so the thought of putting my face anywhere close to that toilet was not even an option.  

I'll skip all the details but I will tell you that I used all of the barf bags on our row during the course of the flight.  I have never thrown up on an airplane and I hope I never do again.  And, just my luck, the plane hit bad weather which caused some not-so-fun turbulence and it caused our flight to get in late.  Luckily they held our next flight but we had to sit in the very last row next to the most interesting (I'm trying to be nice) guy I've ever met.  I'm still clutching my barf bag praying that I won't have to use it when he started talking.  Thank goodness it was only a 45 minute flight from Houston to San Antonio because I wouldn't have been able to handle it for more than that.  As we were taking off he kept telling the pilot (from the last row) to "do your damn thing!" and he was convinced that we were going to San Antonio, Oklahoma and couldn't quite seem to grasp the fact that we were still in Texas.  All of this would have been hilarious if I hadn't been puking all morning, but all I wanted to do was hurt him!

Anyway, I have learned that I will not be flying early in the morning next time I'm pregnant and I wouldn't suggest it for anyone else either.  It is a funny story now but at the time I just wanted to die!  I apologize if the story was gross but it's just a day in the life of a pregnant woman!

3 comments:

tjw1970 said...

What was Nils throwing up in? I can't sit next to someone puking their guts up without doing so myself...

Becky Kiser said...

praise God that first trimester is over!!! only 2 more till sweet bean comes! :)

Chef Mama Lori said...

Oh, you poor thing! Hope this part of pregnancy is all gone! The middle is the easy part! When you get to the end, just remember one rule: Don't laugh, sneeze, or cough unless you have a change of clothes. Just sayin'.